Reno2100: Our Demolicious Mid-Century Ranch

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Design Rant #2: Leather & Plastic Chair by Front

BEGIN RANT #2

Of all the mindless design concepts out there, I think this one is a real winner, in a very loser sort of way.



Here's the description: A new look for the most common chair in the world! Front's Leather & Plastic Chair gives the common patio chair a face-lift by adding a smart and stylish leather seat. Turns the most ordinary piece of outdoor furniture into a comfortable and sophisticated armchair.

Does it? Does it really? Turn it into a sophisticated armchair? Really?

Let me get this straight. You want me pay $489.00 for what's essentially a $5.99 plastic patio chair with a leather cover?

Personally, if I had $500 to spend on a chair, outdoor or indoor, this wouldn't be on the top of my list. It wouldn't even be on the bottom of my list. I'm actually fairly certain it wouldn't be on my list at all. In fact, it would be openly mocked and put on my "you've got to be friggin' kidding me" list.

END RANT #2

3 Comments:

  • Wow... that sure is tacky! All I can think about is how easy those chairs break, too! One clumsy day later, you have a 3 legged $500 chair!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 3:34 PM  

  • wow, that is truly hideous.

    By Blogger Sandy and Michael, at 5:16 PM  

  • The point of Front design isnt really to sell chairs. They are a conceptual design firm, its just about concepts, design as art. They do a lot of exhibitions of their work and they do temporary fit outs for parties and things. I met some of the girls from front design in Tokyo when they had an exhibition there for Tokyo design week. They are conceptual designers, not designers for the masses.

    By Blogger Fashion Hayley, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home